Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy CHD Day!

Today is not only Valentine's Day but Congenital Heart Disease awareness day! If you know Brayden, it's easy to forget that he has a heart defect because he is full of life! I look at this day as another day to celebrate his life. It often brings me to tears because I'm reminded of the times two years, four months ago that I didn't know what was going to happen to him. He was born and the next day was flown to Kosair. I felt helpless. The little boy that I had just met was taken from me and I didn't know what was going to happen next. Luckily the pediatrician at the hospital heard his murmur and didn't pass it off. I've heard that many children have them and they are harmless but what if she decided his was harmless? I remember one of the nurses at the hospital telling me that it was a good thing Dr. Mayfield was there that weekend because if Dr. so and so was there, he probably would have just sent him home. From birth to three weeks, his stenosis went from mild to severe. In just three weeks! Thank goodness for the cardiology team at Duke. They took his little heart in that little body and they helped him. He needed help and I couldn't do anything. I wish I could say fixed, but this is something that he will have the rest of his life. So far we've been praying that he never gets worse. According to Dr. Delaney, he's doing wonderful so continue to pray for him. Those were the hardest times of my life so far but I am stronger for it. I dread the day I have to send him off to surgery again. Hopefully it will never come. Brayden is a blessing. He is the wildest, most mischevious two year old I know, but I can't imagine my life without him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last sentence speaks volumes.